Process Safety Risk Engineer
Marine Well Containment Company (MWCC) was founded after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon well control incident to provide the response capabilities needed if a similar event occurs in the future. MWCC is a Limited Liability Corporation that is owned by ten (10) of the most active drillers in the Gulf of Mexico.
See www.marinewellcontainment.com for more information.
Position Overview & Responsibilities
The MWCC Process Safety Risk Engineer will provide technical safety expertise for the company.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of fit-for-purpose standards, procedures and associated processes, utilizing a risk-based approach.
- Provides subject matter expertise in the understanding, assessment and management of processes to reduce risk and foster the prevention of major accident events.
- Investigates process safety incidents and ensure sustainable preventative actions are identified and implemented.
Facilitate, organize, and lead HAZOP, HAZID, and related Safety Studies.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the understanding, assessment, and management of processes to reduce risk and foster the prevention of major accident events.
- Investigate process safety incidents and ensure sustainable preventative actions are identified and implemented.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
Facilitate, organize, and lead, HAZOP, HAZID, and related Safety Studies for existing and new equipment added to the containment system portfolio.
- Lead the development of the MWCC Risk Management Plan.
- Maintain the MWCC Corporate Register.
- Own and facilitate the 5-year Risk Assessment revalidation process for existing equipment, deployment procedures, and select major maintenance activities.
- Contribute to the assessment of deployment risk mitigation associated with the various drills and exercises incorporated into and conducted through MWCC’s multi-year Integrated Preparedness Plan.
- Provide technical/process safety expertise for Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Provide technical/process safety expertise for Deployment and Pre-Start-Up Safety Reviews (PSSR).
- Provide technical/process safety expertise for Engineering and project activities.
- Develop and deliver process safety training to the MWCC workforce.
- Leads the establishment and monitoring of process safety and performance management metrics.
Response Specific Responsibilities
Below are the responsibilities for this position related to and during the timeframe MWCC is activated to respond to a well control incident in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.
Support the Response Organization in Process Safety issues and facilitating Risk assessments.
- Reports to the MWCC Safety Officer role.
- Upon activation this role reports to the MWCC Response Center or any other location as requested by Command.
General Background, Qualifications, & Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or relevant technical discipline.
- Relevant technical and/or process safety training qualifications including HAZOP leader certification.
- 10+ years technical / process safety experience in upstream offshore operations.
- Knowledge and experience with relevant oil and gas industry codes, standards and regulations associated with process operations and safety engineering.
- Experience technical safety hazard analysis and risk assessment methodologies including awareness of quantitative risk assessments including LOPA and SIL studies.
- Proven ability to prepare, lead and facilitate technical/process safety engineering workshops such as HAZOP, HAZID, Bow-Ties and SIMOPS.
- Familiarity and experience with GoM regulations and ICS/Emergency Response roles are preferred.
- Preference to those with Project Management experience and/or Process Engineering experience.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, with good interpersonal, influencing and stakeholder management skills.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills, including oral and written presentation and communication to both internal and external audiences.
- Self-starter who works proactively and can manage multiple tasks simultaneously to completion.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other software applications.
Location: Houston, TX
Travel: 10% (Domestic)
Schedule: Eligible for 5/40 or 9/80 schedule
Environment & Physical Demands
This position requires meeting the physical demands of both the Office Based Jobs role and Shore Base/Non-Office Jobs role as described below. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Office Based Jobs
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs, use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms close to and overhead of their body. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move items up to twenty-five pounds.
Shore base/non-Office Jobs
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to harsh environmental conditions (heat and cold), fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration, congested work environments, and heavy equipment operations. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is regularly active and requires being able to manipulate components such as valves and other mechanical equipment, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing stairs and access ladders on a routine basis. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items up to fifty pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Marine Well Containment Company provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.